Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Interweb Wednesday: Map of Online Communities

I've decided I'm going to start a series called "Interweb Wednesday" where I bring you fun or interesting things from around the web.

This week I want to show you something. Maybe you always know where you're going on the internet, but maybe you don't.  And if not, then I think this map by xkcd will help. The image is safe for all ages, but I make no guarantee about their website.

Click for larger version

I particularly like the associated references to other aspects of the said demographics. For example the ferry from Gaia(an MMO) to 4chan(a forum) and the fact that FarmVille and Happy Farm are bordered by the Dopamine Sea. But I think my favorite place is in the western portion of the country Facebook, where we find the "Plains of Awkwardly Public Family Interactions". Of course, being created last summer there are already areas that have changed.  For example there's no Google+.  What's interesting is that they created another map three years prior and had to update it massively for this one. The internet is a continually shifting landscape and I believe it is probably growing to encompass a larger portion of the megacontinent of spoken word.

Enjoy,

-j

1 comment:

  1. That's an amazing picture of the world. I am glad to see that xkcd still puts social internet usage as a very tiny portion of the Spoken Language Continent, albeit surprised.

    ReplyDelete