Monday, June 28, 2010

Xbox 360 Elite Arcade. sort of.

I decided to revive my brother's Xbox 360 Elite (black one) from the infamous Red Rings of Death, a hardware failure generally due to overheating.  He took the hard drive out of it and put it in a new one so there's no way to save games, but I figured I'd give it a shot just to see if I could fix it.  So I brought it back to college station, opened it up and got to work.  I pulled the CPU and GPU (central processing unit and graphics processing unit) off the motherboard and replaced the thermal conducting paste.  This basically makes a better thermal conduit between the processors and the heatsinks so the they cool off faster or better.

Naturally the next step was to put it back together and see if I had fixed the problem.  Oh wait, that's right I left all the cables in Waco.


Fail....

I'll let you know if I get some cables to test it out and get it fixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment